Friday, October 27, 2006

Black Dog Syndrome


According to the Black Pearl Dog website, black dogs are euthanized at a much higher rate in most shelters because the general public prefers lighter colored dogs. I admit to being surprised when I read this, because dh and I seem to prefer black dogs, for some reason.

Ours has been a real blessing to us.

Many people, apparently, fear black dogs and have groundless superstitions concerning them (and black cats as well).

Please, the next time you are thinking of getting a dog, go to a shelter and consider getting a black one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love my black dog, though he has some white as well. Today the vet said she thinks he is beagle/border collie/black lab mix. We knew he was beagle because he was found with him Mom (a beagle). Because of his size and webbed toes, vets always guessed black lab as well. Now, however, the white tuft of fur around his shoulders really looks like a border collie. I always wanted a bordie collie or springer spaniel. I got it all when I got Rascal. LOL

Staying in Balance said...

How cool! Rascal is one of the nicest dogs I've ever met. Very patient with Sweetie!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had a chocolate lab until I sent him off to be with my ex becaue it was better for the dog. I didn't want a yellow...I also prefer black or dark coloured dogs...as long as they are not rottie's or doberman's. ;)

Anonymous said...

I recently adopted a black lab instead of a yellow because I read the same article about black dogs. I love him. He is the best. He is so sweet. I named him Hagrid after the giant in Harry Potter because he is a giant, lovable, lug!

Staying in Balance said...

Awwww...I love labs! They're the best.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku