Monday, July 03, 2006

Thoughts about Freedom


Are you really free? I'm not talking about politically but spiritually. I've recently come across the concept of sin as an addiction. I think there may be something to this.

On this Independence Day in the United States, perhaps we should ask ourselves if we are truly free from sin. Is there something in your life that is holding you hostage? Perhaps it is not an obvious "sin" but something like fear or laziness.

We are, each and every one of us, God's children. NO MATTER WHAT. This applies to us in our must desparate, sad and mixed up times, as well as our most joyful. To be really free is to accept that we have a Creator who loves us and will listen to our cries. Even if we are still afraid to completely follow Him, He will honor our attempts at reaching out. I firmly believe this.

This Independence Day, remember that you are a child of God and that
If therefore the son shall make you free,

you shall be free indeed.

~John 8:36

4 comments:

Matthew said...

Wow, that's a great meditation. We all sin, but I trust that through Confession and the Sacraments, we are continually set from. May the Lord reign in our hearts!

I'm reading the Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila now and it is wonderful. She is comparing the soul to a castle, and it is just amazing.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking along the same lines, but always sin is a choice.

What confuses me a lot is when catholics willfully sin with no remorse then state, 'oh I will go to confession, so it's ok if I do wrong now'...then come the next day there is NO change in them. When asked they simply respond with, 'oh there is always confession next week'...Sorry but I dont get that attitude?

Did Jesus not say 'Go and sin NO more'?

Very thought provoking piece ty 4hischurch:).

Peace to ALL

Marie

Staying in Balance said...

I haven't read the Interior Castle yet, but I should! Sin is a choice, but if we choose the sin too often, without true purpose of ammendment and confession, we can become enslaved to it and are not really free.

Unknown said...

We do always sin and it is a choice, the struggle of being free from it can be so hard. I agree with moneybags, it's a great meditation.
God bless

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku