Thursday, July 27, 2006

Of Pride and Change

It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinately being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad.

~C.S. Lewis
I find I often get paralized when dealing with a big change (or even sometimes a small change) in my life. I have discovered that this happens for 2 reasons--fear and pride.

Change often means that something I have been doing is now ineffective. I immediately, and often subconsciously, take this as a personal insult and the resulting guilt paralyzes me into inaction.

I resist change because of the embarrassement I feel at *having* to change! How prideful is that?!
Pride is an admission of weakness; it secretly fears all competition and dreads all rivals.

~Fulton J. Sheen

No comments:

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku