Friday, May 26, 2006

Memorial Day


Monday is Memorial Day in the United States--a day we set aside to remember those who died serving our country.

I would like to remember, not only those who are currently serving and dying abroad in the service of our country, but all those in past generations who sacrificed their loved ones and themselves.

The World War II generation is quickly dying out. They went through unprecidented sacrifice and suffering for their country--not only the soldiers, but the citizens as well. People routinely gave up everyday items such as food, gasoline, silk stockings and the like, for the "war effort". Would we, in the 21st century sacrifice so much with so little complaining?

The picture above reminds me of my dad. He didn't live long enough to get grey hair or be in a wheelchair, but he always stood when a flag passed by. And in the 1960's and '70's, when we were growing up, he was often the only one to do so.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. Please remember my dad at Mass this weekend.

Staying in Balance said...

Oh, I will!

Charley said...

A great post. My grandfather is very much of the same vein - he instilled in me a love of history and a respect for our country that I never had before. My teenage years and even early college life were done in admiration of him.

Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage

Staying in Balance said...

That's neat Charley. My dad was very much the same. He instilled in us a love of history. We couldn't pass a metal sign on the side of the road without stopping to read it! :)

Matthew said...

Isn't that amazing how the crippled are the ones paying the most respect. With two grandfathers that are veterans, I'll be remembering memorial day tomorrow in a special way.

Staying in Balance said...

My late fil was a veteran of 3 wars, including Vietnam when he was in his mid '40's. My dad was in the Army during Korea and my grandfather lost sight in one eye in France during World War I.

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku