Friday, April 07, 2006

Palm Sunday palm braiding tradition


This Sunday is Palm Sunday--the start of Holy Week. The Cafeteria is Closed reminded me of the tradition of braiding palms. I found a different link that shows how to braid the palms you get on Palm Sunday.

This picture (above) shows the finished braid which is similar to the kind my dad used to make for us. Alas, I have to look up the technique each year! The tradition is to braid the palm and put it behind any icons, crucifixes or holy pictures that you have around the house. This picture (below) shows a technique for braiding palms into a crown of thorns. I have never seen this before, but is so very appropriate for Holy Week.

The Link I have highlighted here gives a few other possibilities as well. Try it out this Palm Sunday!

No comments:

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku