Friday, February 03, 2006

Saint Blaise


I went to Mass today not even realizing it was the feast of Saint Blaise. Catholic tradition has it that Saint Blaise healed a boy who was choking on a fish bone. Each year Catholics get their throats blessed on his feast day.

The priest places 2 crossed candles on the throat of each person and says this prayer:

Through the intercession of Saint Blase, bishop and martyr, may God deliver you from every disease of the throat and from every other illness. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, + and of the Holy Spirit.


I was very grateful to get my throat blessed because, although my surgery will be on my spine, the incision will be in the front and the area that will hurt the most post-op will be my throat.

So, thank you, Saint Blaise!

3 comments:

Saint Peter's helpers said...

Happy feast of St. Blase. I'll be praying for you through his intercession.

Anonymous said...

You don't really think it was by accident that you ended up going to church on the Feast of St. Blaise, do you? That's God's way of saying, I'm watching over you. Btw, I sent out my healing request e-mail and lots of people are sending good stuff your way!

Staying in Balance said...

Thanks!!! :)

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku