Thursday, January 12, 2006

Tea



Tea is the most popular drink world wide, after water. Tea is said to have begun in China over 5,000 years ago when emperor Shen Nung ordered that all drinking water be boiled as a health precaution. Tea was discovered when some dry leaves from a nearby bush fell into the boiling water. The rest, as they say, is history.

From China, tea drinking spread to Japan by way of Zen Buddhist missionaries. The Japanese raised tea drinking and all things related to it to an art form. Tea houses, tea hostesses (Geishas) and tea tournaments all grew up around the detailed Japanese Tea Ceremony.

The Portuguese Jesuit, Father Jasper de Cruz, in 1560 was the first European to write about tea. Tea arrived in England surprisingly late. The Stash tea company web site says, "The first samples of tea reached England between 1652 and 1654. Tea quickly proved popular enough to replace ale as the national drink of England."

In spite of the Boston Tea Party, (where, incidentally, tea *bricks* and not loose tea was thrown into the Boston harbor), Americans continue to drink tea. In fact, Americans invented both iced tea and tea bags.

Today, tea is popular in many forms. "Regular" (Black, green and white) tea is said to have many health benefits. Herbal and fruit teas are a refreshing, non-caffeinated alternative and have their own healing properties.

How do you drink your tea?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it depends on why I am having tea. Raspberry leaf is good for cramps. Green tea is good to get rid of toxins and extra water in your body. Blackberry sage is just absolutely wonderful and fragrant. Iced green tea is great in the summer. I can't stand white tea and it is supposed to be the best for you. Oh, and echinecea -- makes illnesses less potent. I could go on and on.

Mostly, though, I enjoy tea with friends.

Staying in Balance said...

So many teas are good for so many things!

Unknown said...

English Breakfast with a lump of sugar and a spot of milk!
Have you ever had tea from Fortnum and Mason? They are the best! They also have an appointment to Her Majesty the Queen.

Staying in Balance said...

I'll have to remember that, Danny, thanks!

G. Thomas Fitzpatrick said...

Earl Grey, black with a fair amount of sugar.

Or Mint, iced.

Matthew said...

I love tea. It's one of my favorite drinks. I usually go for the Green tea but will go for Iced tea any day.

Unknown said...

If i'm drinking green tea I have it with food no sugar.
When i'm having normal black tea I have it with a little milk and only a teeni weeni bit of sugar. And a fine china cup. :)
I love tea, now you made me feel like some. I also like that pot!

Saint Peter's helpers said...

Green tea, Earl Grey, Liptons, Jasmin, Herbal, I like them all. I grew up with English tea with milk and sugar (like Danny's).

That's a beatiful teapot!

Staying in Balance said...

Iced peppermint is one of my very favorites!! I also like Salada Green Tea with red or purple antioxidants.

Staying in Balance said...

I agree--Tea houses and china cups are the best!

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku