Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Words my mil's mother wouldn't let *her* say

My late mil was born in 1917. Her mom had her own list of words that were forbidden in their household. Here they are:

1) Gee
2) Gosh
3) Darn
4) Lookit

My mil and her siblings used to say them all strung out like one big forbidden word:

"Geegoshdarnlookit!"

This is also the women who used to tell my mil to quit listening to the (jazz) music that was newly popular then. According to her, it was nothing but, "jiggida, jiggida, jiggida!"

Hmmm...maybe times really *were* simpler back then.

2 comments:

Saint Peter's helpers said...

This is interesting. I think all generations will have their own "taboos". The "jigida" had me chuckling.

Staying in Balance said...

I know! Each generation has their own version of "rock" music! :)

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku