Monday, December 12, 2005

Deck the Vatican with bows of holly...

Catholic World News reports that Pope Benedict "noted that preparations for Christmas traditionally begin in earnest after the feast of the Immaculate Conception" which is December 8th. The Vatican will be lighting their Christmas tree on December 17th. The Holy Father said that it is "providential...that the entrance door to Christmas should be the feast of the mother of Jesus."

Well, that makes me feel a lot better! As I have said here before, I decided pretty early on in my marriage that I couldn't continue my father's tradition of everything being put up on Christmas Eve after the kids are in bed. My mental health just couldn't take it!

But, I'm not really someone who would put up the full set of decorations the day after Thanksgiving either. That's just too soon for me.

Glad to know I'm following in the footsteps of the Vatican on this one!

Thanks to Recta Ratio for bringing this to my attention.

No comments:

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku