Friday, November 25, 2005

Gospel Birthday Meme

I saw this on The Curt Jester. You take the month and day of your birh and look up the 4 gospel verses associated with it. Here are mine from the searchable online Douay-Rheims Bible:

Matthew 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Mark 5:3 Who had his dwelling in the tombs, and no man now could bind him, not even with chains.

Luke 5:3 And going into one of the ships that was Simon's, he desired him to draw back a little from the land. And sitting, he taught the multitudes out of the ship.

John 5:3 In these lay a great multitude of sick, of blind, of lame, of withered: waiting for the moving of the water.


My take on these verses: People are always in need of healing. Jesus especially reaches out to those who are hurting and preaches poverty of spirit, that is, reliance on Him, to all of us.

5 comments:

Staying in Balance said...

The best one for my son is the verse from Matthew: Matthew 7:25

And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and they beat upon that house, and it fell not, for it was founded on a rock.

Unknown said...

Thats excellent! Your sons verse is one that I want! I better do one and see what I get.

Staying in Balance said...

The ironic thing is, his name means rocky cliff.

Anonymous said...

So, I thought to myself -- how different can mine be from yours with our birthdays but one day apart. Well, here's what I got:

Matthew 5:4 / Blessed are the meek: for they shall possess the land.

Mark 5:4 / For having been often bound with fetters and chains, he had burst the chains, and broken the fetters in pieces, and no one could tame him.

Luke 5:4 / Now when he had ceased to speak, he said to Simon: Launch out into the deep and let down your nets for a draught.

John 5:4 / And an angel of the Lord descended at certain times into the pond and the water was moved. And he that went down first into the pond after the motion of the water was made whole of whatsoever infirmity he lay under.

At this moment in time, I particulary relate to Mark 5:4

Fun and thought provoking.

Out Of Jersey said...

Man, that is wild. I did a quick glance of mine and found they tended to have to do with the demon that no one could bind. Should I be concerned?

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku