Thursday, June 30, 2005

The answer to "Why me, Lord?"

For quite a while now, I've been wondering why in the world God decided to make it so that middle aged children were the ones often left to care for aging parents. Many of us have children and/or spouses at home, as well as a work life and health issues ourselves. Why would God want to compound that?

I finally have my answer. The other day I was driving with my newly licensed ds and trying desparately not to gasp every time he came a bit too close to the car in front of him. I remember my mom doing the same, even fairly recently. As I age, I also notice that my memory is not nearly what it used to be. I recently renewed my registration and inspection on my car, and promptly lost my proof of insurance that same day. It is no where to be found. Also, I have recently had surgery on my gums, which has been annoying and expensive. I remember my dad having gone through the same thing without a complaint.

So, I think God has called us middle agers to care for our aging parents because we are starting to experience the same problems they are. I now have much more empathy for my mom's passenger anxiety, because I now have my own child I occasionally drive with. I understand my mom's lack of appetite because I too have serious TMJ and other dental issues (although not eating is sadly not a side effect in my case!) My memory is shot and it is a wonder I am able to do all for my mom that I am currently doing.

But at least now, I understand her.

No comments:

Dymphna's favorite quotes


"Slavery ended in medieval Europe only because the church extended its sacraments to all slaves and then managed to impose a ban on the enslavement of Christians (and of Jews). Within the context of medieval Europe, that prohibition was effectively a rule of universal abolition. "— Rodney Stark

my poetry on the web

Karumi Garden

Karumi Garden
my haiku